Hyperfocus to the rescue!

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Now that I'm not working such a crappy job I find myself much happier and much more motivated to deal with household drudgery. Before, even doing the dishes was a monumental task, but lately I've been doing them every day. I still use the dishwasher sometimes, of course (why have it if you're not going to use it after all?), especially when I've been cooking or baking since it's easier to load all the utensils, baking pans, cookie sheets, and my kitchenaid bowl into the dishwasher than it is to leave it all sprawled out on the counter while I wash it in the tiny undivided sink we have.

I digress. Wasn't meaning to go into extreme details of my dishwashing routine. Anyway, having the entire morning to myself and not stressing about the next disaster I'm about to walk into at work really has taken a load off my mind. I think the onset of warm weather has contributed to this too, it seems like sunshine and a breeze through the open windows really does a lot to get me into housecleaning mode. The only thing I don't like about the job is that since I'm gone most evenings, I rarely cook dinner any more. I suppose it's a good opportunity for Trevor to learn some cooking skills himself. He has talent, but he doesn't have the drive that I do. When he gets a bug up his butt and has to cook something, it usually turns out pretty good if not downright delicious. I'm off today though, so tonight we're going to have lemon pepper chicken and spinach wraps with italian dressing and a few handfuls of grapes on the side.

I really ought to bake some bread, and I have a cast iron pan that needs seasoning. It's cool today, so perhaps I'll go ahead and season that pan. I might bake the bread today, or I may just wait for some other cool day. I'm not sure how long this "Do lots of stuff" hyperfocus thing is going to last. I sure love them when they come along, though. I just blitzed through the bathroom, cleaning the sink and counter and decluttering the cabinets both under and over the sink. I wiped down the mirrors, then I cleaned the tub, wiped off the grungy-looking rubbermaid drawers in there, and cleaned the toilet. I should have done the floors but meh. Ran out of steam, and got distracted by the wood polish (My kitchen table is dust-free and shiny now though!) Spending an hour and a half cleaning with no getting side-tracked is a huge thing for somebody with ADD, let me tell you. When these little whims pop up I've learned not to ignore them, it really is a huge opportunity wasted.

Well, I'm hungry and we have fixin's for turkey sandwiches that are beckoning to me from the fridge. Hopefully Trev didn't eat all the potato chips.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Diary of a Suzy Homemaker. Design by Pocket