Applesauce!

Thursday, August 20, 2009

I bought a quarter peck of Lodi apples at the farmer's market yesterday, and since they're not that great for eating and seem too soft to put into a pie, I decided to make applesauce. I have two small jars in the canner right now, and just got done licking the bowl. I put maybe 3/4 cup sugar in there since they were tart apples, and a few shakes of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. It took on a reddish tint when I stirred it all up, and it's absolutely delicious. Can't wait until my dad gets here so we can do some more canning. I did learn one lesson today, though: Water bath canners take forever to boil, and even longer if you have an electric stove with small elements (the single large one on my stove doesn't work.) Next time I'll put the water on long before I start anything else.

I think I'll go ahead and bake some bread today too, since I'm already messing up my kitchen and doing heaps of dishes (I've probably done 3 sinkfuls already and will have 2 or 3 more by the time I'm done). The weather is rather mild today, so I won't be roasting here in the apartment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Diary of a Suzy Homemaker. Design by Pocket