Interview: Joel Salatin | Life and style | The Observer

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Interview: Joel Salatin | Life and style | The Observer

This is a wonderful article about Joel Salatin, the owner of Polyface Farms in Virginia. Great guy, great farm. I'd love to visit some day.

It's about time I started this little blog back up again, since it's getting to be planting time here in Wisconsin. I ordered San Marzano Tomatoes and Smart Pickle cucumbers from Seedsofchange.org and they came in the mail today. A quick trip to Lowe's and 20 minutes cleaning off the top of the fridge and replacing the bulb in the grow light setup my mom gave to me and they're sitting pretty waiting to sprout. Should see some action by next week. I planted the tomatoes and cucumbers plus peas and spinach. I'll do pole beans later I think. I was going to wait on the tomatoes and cukes too but I figured since I've never grown them from seed before I'd better get started now so if I encounter any surprises I can easily start over and change my tactics. Since I have even lighting this year, I should have no problems with legginess.

Might as well mention my diet changes too: After watching Food, Inc. and getting started on several books (including Real Food by Nina Planck and The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan) I've simply stopped eating a ton of stuff I thought I'd never do without. No more boxes of mac and cheese or cans of Chef Boyardee. No more McDonalds, Burger King, or Taco Bell. Store bought cookies, donuts, and other snacks are out too. I don't even consider this stuff food at all any more, no more than a clod of dirt is food. And after learning about industrial beef filler being treated with ammonia to cut down on E. coli I feel nothing but revulsion at the very idea of eating another McDonald's burger. I've even stopped drinking factory-farmed milk! I've been buying organic unhomogenized whole milk at Sendik's and basically only drinking milk at work save for what goes on my cereal and into my coffee (still the cheap stuff since Trev still drinks it and I don't bring my organic stuff home). And I used to drink a lot of milk, almost a gallon every other day or so. So it's more cooking, more water and tea, and better choices at the store for me! I'll take my grass-fed beef and fresh veggies, thank you very much. And if I can get my hands on some raw milk at some point so much the better. Should be another interesting year ahead.

Edit to add: Oh yeah, I did get the closet cleaned out. But it's so much easier to have my stuff on top of the fridge so if I can keep the cats off of there that's where it'll stay until I move them outside in April.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Diary of a Suzy Homemaker. Design by Pocket